Why can’t I pick up the cats?
- Not all cats want to be picked up and we respect their needs. We also get hundreds of visitors every weekend, and if everyone picked up a cat during their visit the cats would be very agitated from all of the handling. It’s safest for all parties to not pick them up. It’s best to let them go about their business and if they choose to sit on your lap consider yourself very lucky.
How does the adoption process work?
- We are partnered with Stray Haven Rescue. If you are interested in a cat you meet at Mauhaus you will submit an application to Stray Haven. Once approved you will come back to Mauhaus for an interview to make sure that this is the best cat for you. After the interview you will pick a date to take your new family member home. We don’t do same day adoptions because adopting a cat is a serious decision and taking time helps everyone involved to make sure this will be a forever home.
Can I bring treats for the cats?
- We manage the cats diets carefully so while we appreciate the thought we prefer not to give them outside snacks.
Can I surrender a cat to you?
- No. We are not a shelter and do not take cat surrenders. We work closely with Stray Haven Rescue to select each cat that comes to Mauhaus. All cats at Mauhaus go through a process to ensure they are healthy and ready for the public. If you have questions about surrendering a cat please visit Stray Haven Rescue.
I would like to donate something to the cats.
- All of our cats come from Stray Haven Rescue. If you’d like to make a monetary donation we request that you send money their way as they are a volunteer non profit and could use any help you’d like to give. If you have physical goods you’d like to donate here is a list of acceptable items:
- Unopened cats of wet food
- Unopened / new toys
- Unopened / new cat beds
- New / lightly used cat trees or furniture
- Books about cats
- Unopened cat treats
Do I need to make a reservation?
- Reservations to spend time in the cafe are highly encouraged. We do allow walk-ins, but it’s likely that you will have to wait for a spot to open up. There is a minimum spend or donation of $5 for all walk ins. Walk ins can spend $5 for a half an hour or $10 for an hour. A reservation ensures that there will be a spot waiting for you!